Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Stop teasing me!

I've been watching a lot of TV now that I'm in India and I have to say, I am extremely impressed by how far the advertising industry has come in the last 15 years. The TV commercials are very engaging and compelling and use humor, patriotism, emotion very well. So much so, that I was actually compelled to go to a store to buy a new phone from service provider because their TV ad featured one of my favorite bollywood movie actors. I also saw their ads prominently featured in the Times of India. No one in my office uses them as a service provider but I figured "If they have the mega advertising budgets to get the word out about being the most reliable brand in India then they must be pretty solid". Unfortunately when I went to the store, I discovered that they were out of stock of the 2 models of phones that I had selected (one mid range one for about Rs. 6500 and one high end). I didn't want to give up just yet so drove to another store branch. I was excited to see that the model that I liked was displayed so immediately asked the sales rep for it. He hollered to his colleague who sat in the storeroom to bring out a unit, only to find that they were out of stock as well. Then he proceeded to try and push a Rs. 1500 phone that looked like it belonged to a toddler. I walked out disappointed. So this begs a few questions: why would a company invest millions in advertising but not make sure they have a way to fulfill on the demand they generate? Why would they display items that they don't have in stock? Isn't this more harmful than not generating the excitement and demand at all? Shouldn't they invest in an inventory management or store operations solution than on big advertising campaign?

1 comment:

  1. Agree the way advertising agencies evolved is great but still In digital platform not promising work I have seen.
    It's just only technology adoption or less involvement from client side?

    ReplyDelete